Existentialism Animoto

Friday, January 21, 2011

Post #2: How I feel about Existentialism

I feel existentialism is a very complex idea.  I understand that it is a philosophy of how people should live their life.  The idea deals with a specific view of the world and people placed in it.  It emphasizes what it means to exist.  I understand that it is about the individual, and how everyone has freedom and choice.  Also, I get that existentialism does not rely on rational (logic) thinking, and that some things are irrational and/or absurd without having an explanation for them.  I do not understand, however, how science and religion play a role in this philosophy.  I am unclear as to if this idea is refusing science because science shows logical explanations for subjects.  I also question about the religion part.   I think this philosophy is great for the individual, but it has flaws.  For instance, this idea argues that human beings have a freewill.  I disagree with this because I believe we were brought a life for a purpose.  I also disagree with the idea that one should only live in the presence.  People do not just live in the present, they live for their future.  For example, high school students learn to be prepared for college for their future.  They may also take events and/or mistakes from their past to learn from them to have a better future.  It makes me upset when existentialism denies the past and future because I believe memories are important, and making mistakes from the past. One can learn from them to not make the same mistakes again in their present or future life.  Existentialism is a good idea for individuality, but there are many uncertainties about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment